Why you should be thinking about BCP?
Voice applications are more susceptible to noticeable interruption versus other applications. It is expected that a voice service should just work as it has done so for last 100 years, whilst customers think that sending calls to voicemail or mobile is an acceptable backup option the cost of future lost earnings is unquantifiable.
Being on the proactive approach about your BCP allows your business to be ready move and change as the world does around you. Access4 allows you to create and implement strategies so your business can continue as normal via multiple connectivity points in and out.
Recommended BCP strategy
In your BCP strategy for voice there are 4 main areas to be considered. How the service connects to the Call Flow Configuration > Customers network > Internet > Access4.
Your Voice BCP strategy starts with Access4 by providing the initial layers;
- A platform that is geo-redundant and highly scalable
- Having servers located in secure data centres in Victoria (M1) and Queensland (Polaris).
- Network equipment is also located in M1, Polaris and New South Wales (SY-3) allowing customers to interconnect via these locations.
- Access4 approved devices and applications are rigorously tested with configurations to ensure the best operational outcome can be achieved, even for a drop box solution.
- Multiple inbound/outbound CTS connections.
- The Access4 Network structure provides business continuity even if a whole data centre is offline for any reason.
Next level getting access to the internet, whilst there is no golden rule to how much internet or what type internet to use there are a few considerations to investigate:
- The minimum requirement is 80kbps of symmetrical data per active talking session, calls in held position are handled by Access4. Even though the data required is very little you need consider what other applications that could saturate the link at any time file cloud/hosting or video conferencing typically consumes up to 4Mbps.
- Whilst you can get 100/40 NBN connection does your provider honour the connection right through to its core to the outside world.
- How many hops are there between Access4 and the point of service?
- Voice is transferred in RTP packets. Voice streams are very sensitive to packet loss. As little as a 1% packet loss can have an impact on voice quality. Quality issues occur if packets are lost, delayed or modified.
- Should I use a wireless connection to my primary connection?
- Should I use the same provider for my back up connection?
- When was the last time you checked that the backup link worked?
- To check your current connection, you can use our tester: Access4 Speed Tester
Onsite network equipment and configuration can have huge impact between your service and the outside world. It is unreasonable to deploy a router that was designed for consumer usage for a commercial application.
- Does your router have the capability to swap between connections in the event of an outage?
- Does your router have capability to prioritize voice traffic?
- How often do you back up your configuration in the event of hardware failure?
- If using POE switch
- How long are the cable lengths?
- What is POE budget per port?
- Does the power rating change as new connections are made or disconnected? All Access4 handsets are POE capable and do not ship with power packs.
- If deploying over wifi
- Do you have blackspots?
- How many simultaneous connections can it handle?
- Do you have UPS equipment and how often is it tested?
Whilst you have everything in place for your network the call flow configuration can also play an important part to ensure if worst does happen, your configuration allows you move and continue seamlessly.
- End points all have the flexibility to use call forward not reachable automatically at a bare minimum.
- Alternatively, you can be dual signed in on your mobile via Connect App to utilize your mobile data.
- If a Hunt Group service deems that all end points are offline it also can be redirected automatically.
- Call Centres can be configured in the same way as Hunt Groups but have the flexibility to hold the calls in the queue for up 2 hours whilst you adjust to the situation.
- Lastly we can host your numbers in various configurations to suit your needs.
If you need support in updating or developing business continuity processes for your business, contact your Partner Success Manager or speak to one of our specialists today.